King's College, chartered by George II in 1754, first established a medical school in 1767, the first in New York and second in the Thirteen Colonies. Two B.A. degrees were awarded at the first medical school commencement, held in 1769. The Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree was first awarded to in 1770. After the American Revolution, King’s College re-opened as Columbia College (1784) and revived the medical school with Samuel Bard as Dean (1791). The College of the Physicians and Surgeons (P&S) was founded by charter from the New York State Board of Regents (1807). P&S forged a nominal affiliation with Columbia in 1860 but retained its independence until 1891 when it completely merged with the university.
The Columbia University School of Dentistry was established (1916), then merged with the College of Dental and Oral Surgery of New York (1923), changing the name to the School of Dental and Oral Surgery. It was renamed the College of Dental Medicine in 2006.
The College of Pharmacy of the City of New York (established 1829) entered into an affiliation agreement with Columbia in 1904. The college closed in 1976.
The DeLamar Institute of Public Health was established in 1922 and was renamed the School of Public Health (1945), the School of Public Health and Administrative Medicine (1945), and the Mailman School of Public Health (1998).