The collection documents a wide variety of administrative, financial, and educational affairs at P&S principally for the period 1807-1891. Included are letters of acceptance and resignation from faculty members; correspondence with the New York State Board of Regents, which had oversight of the school from 1807 to 1860; extensive financial records, especially those documenting loans from the faculty in the early years of the school; reports from numerous faculty committees; and requests from alumni for replacements of diplomas. Much of the collection appears to have originated in the office of the Secretary of the Faculty.
Also included are miscellaneous letters and documents, usually relating to the early history of the medical school and its faculty, that were donated to or purchased by P&S; 20th century typescripts and photostatic copies of documents relevant to the history of the school held by other institutions ; and correspondence and notes of medical school reference librarians relating to inquiries about the history of the school, and its faculty and alumni..
There is correspondence of many early faculty members including such prominent 19th century American physicians as John C. Dalton Jr., John Wakefield Francis, David Hosack, William MacNeven, Samuel Latham Mitchill, Valentine Mott, and John Augustine Smith.