Records of students enrolled in the College of Physicians and Surgeons which from 1860 was affiliated with Columbia College (now Columbia University); in 1891 the College completely merged into Columbia. Though the records extend to 1934, the bulk date from 1816-1919.
Surviving 19th and early 20th century student records exist in two forms: bound volumes and loose papers. Student registers, 1816/17-1861/62, 1875/76-1908/09, are those in which each enrolled student entered his name, signature, residence, and, sometimes, name of preceptor. The matriculation registers/record of fees paid, 1863/64-1909/10, appear to be have been created by the P&S registrar: they include all the information found in the earlier volumes but in a single hand and also usually include a record of fees paid, withdrawals, credits and/or degrees from other schools, and other student information such as name changes.
Starting with the 1909/10 academic year, these two separate records appear to have been replaced by the “registration application” which includes more extensive personal information completed by each student – including home and New York City addresses, date and place of birth, name of parent or guardian, and educational history – as well as a record of fees paid completed by the registrar. They cover the academic years 1909/10-1918/19. There is also one volume listing degrees conferred, 1905-1934.
The loose records are 16 cubic feet in extent (48 boxes) and date from 1828-1857, 1873-1902. These records are only for those who actually received a degree from P&S, unlike the bound volumes which include all who enrolled. Records for the classes of 1858-1872 have been lost.
During this period, three documents were required by the State of New York for candidates wishing to receive the doctor of medicine degree: certification that the candidate was at least 21 years of age; certification that he was of “good moral character;” and proof that he had studied with a physician for two years.
Records for the classes of 1828-1857 are non-standard, usually consisting of correspondence from family, friends and physicians attesting that the graduate met the three requirements. The 1873-1902 records are usually standardized forms and generally contain less personal information.
Women were first admitted in Fall 1917; the first women graduates were in the Class of 1921.