The Sloane Hospital for Women was founded in 1886 as Sloane Maternity Hospital with a donation by William D. Sloane and his wife, Emily Thorn Vanderbilt Sloane, to the College of Physicians and Surgeons (P&S). Sloane opened on the P&S campus at West 59th Street and Amsterdam Avenue in January, 1888. Besides providing low-cost obstetric care, the Hospital served as a teaching facility for P&S students. The present name was adopted in 1910, and a gynecological service was added in 1911.
Administration of the hospital was vested in a Board of Managers which was made up of the Dean of the College, a representative of the donors, a representative of the College’s Board of Trustees (replaced by a member of the Columbia University Board of Trustees when the College completely merged into Columbia in 1891), and two members of the P&S faculty.
As part of the agreement of affiliation between Columbia University and Presbyterian Hospital, the University agreed to divest itself of its clinical units, and in 1925, Sloane Hospital became the obstetric and gynecological service of Presbyterian. After Sloane moved to the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in 1928, the Board of Managers dissolved itself.