Typescripts of case histories from the Babies Hospital, 1933-1955. These records were excerpted from the patient records of the institution and used for teaching purposes, in particular Grand Rounds. Some of the cases included are drawn from other institutions, such as the New York Academy of Medicine and Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, and some include transcripts of letters from or conversations with physicians and surgeons at other institutions in New York and abroad.
The cases themselves appear to have been selected for one of three reasons: 1) as a small part of a larger study of particular conditions, such as congenital lack of bile ducts, diabetes mellitus, tuberculous pleurisy, pertussis, and thyroid disorders, 2) examples of commonly-seen disorders such as feeding problems, pneumonia, pyloric stenosis, intusseception, foreign objects, burns, and accidental poisonings, and 3) examples of unusual conditions such as dwarfism, tumors, sexual-trauma induced narcolepsy, precocious puberty, hermaphroditism and adrenal gland disorders, and childhood schizophrenia. All aspects of pediatric practice are represented, including neurological, developmental, psychological, and behavioral conditions, and there is significant evidence of cooperation between the Babies Hospital and the Neurological Institute of New York in terms of treating patients.
Many of the histories include photographs, which are most often nude studies, though there are some clothed portraits and collages of candid family photos. Photographic reproductions of x-rays are also included.
Selected Special Cases:
The following cases were noted during processing as having potential of being of particular interest for researchers. This is not an exhaustive list, and in many instances other, similar cases can be found in the records.
- Tay-Sachs 688, 695
- Tuberculous pleurisy, part of a larger study 712
- Bronchiatasis, survey of other treatments 815
- Diabetes mellitus, extended discussion 892
- Behavioral problems, “word deafness” [autism?] 571, 907
- Pertussis, extended discussion 923Narcolepsy/sexual trauma 925
- Creatine/thyroid study 926
- Hermaphrodism, real and pseudo 1394, 1831, 1910, 2262, 2285
- Tourettes Syndrome 1931
- Childhood schizophrenia 1976, 2067
- Progeria (suspected) 2179
- Hysterical blindness 2218
- Poisoning case, turned over to the medical examiner 2230
- Precocious puberty 2260
- Indifference to pain 2429