Records of the chairman of the department of medicine from the tenures of Stanley E. Bradley (1960-1970), Henry Aranow (acting 1970-1971), Charles A. Ragan, Jr. (1971-1975), and Daniel V. Kimberg (1975-1978). This is only a fragment of the records that once must have existed, chiefly the "A" through "D" subjects.
The largest subject by size is ambulatory care. The period documented here saw an expansion and renovation of the Vanderbilt Clinic, where emergency care was administered. It also saw a huge increase in admissions as private physicians fled the Medical Center's declining neighborhood and local residents turned to the hospital's emergency room for medical care.
Other well-documented subjects in the records include the search for a new physician-in-chief for Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital, a Columbia University affiliate in Cooperstown, N.Y.; the revamping of the department's major clinical year clerkship; problems at Francis Delafield Hospital, a municipal cancer hospital staffed by Columbia faculty; and correspondence with Alvan L. Barach, inventor of the first practicable oxygen tent, on establishing an endowed professorship in his name.
The folder on Franklin M. Hanger (1894-1971), a long-time professor of medicine does not appear to be from the chairman's records. It consists of carbon copies of correspondence from a department staff member to Hanger after his retirement to Virginia in the early 1960s. The correspondence comments extensively on departmental happenings. The writer is unidentified but internal evidence suggests it was Jeannette Molter, an administrative assistant in the department of medicine. Also included is a humorous 1942 letter from Hanger to fellow faculty member Yale Kneeland (then in military service) describing the "deserted" Medical Center during wartime.