Scrapbooks, photographs, and miscellaneous correspondence and documents relating to the Neurological Institute of New York and the Department of Neurology at the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, 1917-1983.
This appears to be an artificial collection created by Archives & Special Collection staff sometime before 1996. The largest part consists of a scrapbook dating from 1921-1930; it largely contains newspaper and magazine reviews of books by Dr. Joseph Collins (1866-1950), one of the founders of the Neurological Institute. Another scrapbook appears to have been created by Flora Jo Bergstrom, probably a nurse at the Institute in the early 1920s. It dates from 1921 to the late 1970s and contains newspaper clippings (largely about the NI), Christmas cards, some correspondence, and snapshots of Institute nurses and staff from the 1920s.
Other material includes miscellaneous publications of the Institute, mostly fundraising appeals; photocopies of documents relating to the NI’s affiliation with the Medical Center in 1925; annual reports from the 1950s-1960s; a fiftieth anniversary program; and a tribute to Dr. Edwin Zabriskie on the occasion of his 80th birthday (1954) signed by members of the Institute staff.
The photographs are of the 4th International Congress of Neurological Surgery/9th International Congress of Neurology in 1969 and of 1970 symposium honoring Dr. H. Houston Merritt (Director of the NI/Chairman of the Dept. of Neurology, 1948-1967). There are also photos apparently produced for a short text entitled “First Aid to Spines” by Dr. Byron Stookey; they are undated but are probably from the 1930s.