Records created or held in custody by the Office of the Secretary of Presbyterian Hospital. Records span the entire existence of Presbyterian Hospital, 1868-1997, but the majority date from 1925-1975. Included are correspondence and subject files; records of agreements with Columbia University and with other hospitals; contracts with vendors and unions; bills paid, mostly relating to the furnishing of the hospital after the fire of 1889; real estate records including agreements, contracts, deeds, property maps, leases, and mortgage satisfactions; records of Trustees and Corporation Members; and records of the Joint Administrative Board, the joint Columbia University-Presbyterian Hospital agency that oversaw the construction of the Medical Center in 1925-1929.
Many of the records are concerned with agreements Presbyterian entered into with other institutions, especially with Columbia University. Since the initial 1911 agreement with Columbia was revised and renewed several times during the 20th century, these records are particularly important for documenting the often contentious relationship between the two Medical Center partners. Construction records, pertaining to both the original Medical Center in the 1920s and to subsequent expansions and renovations, are also voluminous. However, there is very little after 1975 and nothing on the building of the Milstein Hospital Building and Allen Pavilion in the 1980s.
Records of Trustees and Corporation Members vary considerably: most contain only a resume but a few also include correspondence, newspaper clippings, obituaries, and memorial statements.
Real estate records include material on Medical Center property and buildings, especially the Neurological Institute and Eye Institute buildings, but the bulk document residential buildings purchased by Presbyterian either for staff housing or for office space. Leases are entirely for apartments in non-hospital buildings rented by Presbyterian to provide staff housing.
The Joint Administrative Board (JAB) records were presumably inherited by the Secretary’s Office after the JAB became defunct in the 1970s. The records here almost all refer to the planning and the construction of the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, 1922-1929. Included are contracts with the architect, James Gamble Rogers, and the contractor, Marc Eidlitz and Son; agreements and other documents relating to the construction of the New York State Psychiatric Institute in 1924-29; Edward Harkness’s original deed to the property; budgets; and contracts with utilities.
The 2009 document relates to the dissolution of Columbia-Presbyterian Health Services, Inc., established in 1994.