Creator: New York Orthopaedic HospitalDate [inclusive]: 1927-1943Languages: EnglishPhysical Description: 1 volumeCollection: Columbia University Irving Medical Center ArchivesAffiliate HospitalsNew York Orthopaedic Hospital, 1863-1950Access: Unrestricted New York Orthopaedic Hospital Scrapbook PDF finding aidHistory and BiographyHistorical/Biographical Note: The New York Orthopaedic Dispensary opened in 1866 to provide orthopedic care for the poor children of New York City. Its name was changed to New York Orthopaedic Dispensary and Hospital in 1874, and later to New York Orthopaedic Hospital. A surgical service was established in 1876, and adult patients were first admitted in 1910. From 1904 to 1943, a country branch for the rehabilitation of children with tuberculosis was operated in Westchester County. The New York Orthopaedic Hospital merged with Presbyterian Hospital in 1945 and it moved to the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in 1950. It also serves as the department of orthopedic surgery for the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. OrganizationScope and Content: Scrapbook largely containing copies of fundraising appeals and other promotional materials for the New York Orthopaedic Hospital. In addition, there are a few clippings from New York City newspapers relating to the hospital. Subject Headings and Related RecordsSubjects: Hospitals - New York (State) - New YorkNew York Orthopaedic Hospital Administrative InformationProvenance: Gift of the New York-Presbyterian Hospital Dept. of Public Affairs, 2000 (acc. # 2000.01.20).