Presbyterian Hospital in the City of New York
Founded 1868; opened 1872 in buildings located between Madison & Park Avenues, 70th & 71st Streets. Affiliated with Columbia University, 1911. Moved to the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, March 1928. Merged with New York Hospital to form New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Dec. 31, 1997.
Annual reports for 1869-1958 are for the hospital alone; from 1959-1990 a combined annual report for the hospital and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons was published. The 1991-1997 reports are for the hospital only.
1869-1878, 1879-1888, 1889-1893, 1894-1898, 1899-1903, 1904-1908, 1909-1913, 1914-1918, 1919-1923, 1924-1927, 1928-1933, 1934-1938, 1939-1943, 1944-1948, 1949-1951, 1952-1955, 1956-1958, 1959-1961, 1962-1964, 1965-1967, 1968-1969, 1970-1971, 1972-1973, 1974-1975, 1976-1977, 1978-1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1985/86 (Publications), 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1990 ("Administrative Report"), 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997
Medical and Surgical Report
Archives & Special Collections has v.1-10 in its holdings; vols. 1, 7, 9-10 were too fragile to digitize; vols. 9 and 10 linked to here are held by the University of Michigan and the University of Toronto respectively.
Paxton, John R. Address Delivered at the Sixteenth Anniversary of the Presbyterian Hospital (New York: Trow, 1884)
Columbia University. Report of the Committee on the Organization of the New Presbyterian Hospital on University Lines (New York: The University, 1912)
New York-Presbyterian Hospital
Established Dec. 31, 1997 with the merger of Presbyterian Hospital and New York Hospital.
The hospital did not publish a 2009 annual report and has not published any after 2010.
Babies Hospital/Children's Hospital of New York
Founded in 1887 and soon located on Lexington Ave. & East 55th St. In 1925, it affiliated with Presbyterian Hospital and in 1929 moved to a new building at the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. In 1933, its Board of Trustees was merged into the Board of Managers of Presbyterian Hospital. However, Babies remained a separate corporation until its complete merger with Presbyterian on Dec. 31, 1943. In the 1980s, the name was changed to Babies and Children's Hospital; in 2003, it became the Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital of New York.
1888/89-1893/94 annual reports were too fragile to digitize, but may be consulted at Archives & Special Collections. 1942 was the last report published. Information on Babies Hospital after that date can be found in the annual reports of Presbyterian Hospital.
Neurological Institute of New York
Founded 1909 and originally located at 149-151 East 67th Street. In 1925, it affiliated with Presbyterian Hospital and in 1929 occupied its own building on the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center campus. In 1933 its Board of Directors was merged into the Board of Managers of Presbyterian Hospital. However, the Institute remained a separate corporation until its complete merger with Presbyterian on Dec. 31, 1943. Its last annual report, however, was 1930. Information on the Neurological Institute after that date can be found in the annual reports of Presbyterian Hospital.
New York Orthopaedic Hospital & Dispensary/New York Orthopedic Hospital
Established in 1866 as the New York Orthopaedic Dispensary; in 1874 it became the New York Orthopaedic Dispensary & Hospital. At a later date the name was changed to New York Orthopaedic Hospital and in the late 20th century it gained its current spelling. The hospital merged with Presbyterian Hospital in 1945 and moved to the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in 1950.
Annual Reports ["Yearbooks"]
Earlier volumes (1867-1886/87) were too fragile to digitize but may be consulted at Archives & Special Collections. The 1923/24 annual report is missing from our holdings. 1944 appears to have been the last annual report.
Sloane Hospital for Women
Founded in 1886 as Sloane Maternity Hospital with a donation by William D. Sloane and his wife, Emily Thorn Vanderbilt Sloane, to the College of Physicians and Surgeons (P&S). Sloane opened on the P&S campus at West 59th Street and Amsterdam Avenue in January, 1888. Besides providing low-cost obstetric care, the Hospital served as a teaching facility for P&S students. The present name was adopted in 1910 and a gynecological service was added in 1911. As part of the agreement of affiliation between Columbia University and Presbyterian Hospital, the University agreed to divest itself of its clinical units, and in 1925 Sloane Hospital became the obstetric and gynecological service of Presbyterian. With the opening of the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in 1928, Sloane occupied three floors in the new Presbyterian Hospital building. The obstetric/gynecology service remains known as Sloane Hospital for Women and is also the department of obstetrics and gynecology of the College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Founded in 1886 with a generous donation from members of the Vanderbilt family. Opened in Dec. 1887 as a free clinic under the control of the College of Physicians & Surgeons. In 1925, the clinic was ceded by Columbia to Presbyterian Hospital. The emergency room at the Columbia University Medical Center retains the name.
Auxiliary Annual Reports
The Vanderbilt Clinic Auxiliary was organized in 1908 to raise funds for and take charge of three departments associated with the Clinic: the Visiting Nurse Service, the Social Service Dept., and the Day Camp for tuberculosis patients. It was an entirely female enterprise with many of the members being the wives of physicians on the Clinic staff. Annual reports for 1928-1949 can be found in the annual reports of the Presbyterian Hospital.